Hi there! Welcome to my blog! 👋
I'm a full-stack engineer building software to help local restaurants manage their online presence.
I enjoy exploring different areas of software engineering. I've jumped from low-level cryptography to blockchain code to building scalable developer infrastructure. Below you'll find a list of projects I've worked on recently.
You can contact me at julianmeyer2000[at]gmail.com.
Personal Project Stack
In the past, I've really enjoyed working on a variety of different parts of the stack. Although for some it can make sense to specialize, I'm more of a tinkerer and enjoy playing around with new technologies.
- Web: Typescript, NodeJS, React, NextJS
- Backend: Python, Go, NodeJS, Rust, Postgres, Redis, MongoDB
- DevOps: Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, Buildkite, Bash
- Systems Programming: Go, ARM and x86 Assembly, Rust, C, C++
- Machine Learning: Reinforcement Learning, Counterfactual Regret Minimization (Poker), CNNs, GANs, Transformers
- Machine Learning Libraries: Tensorflow, Keras, Numpy, Pandas
Owner - Founding Engineer (March 2021 - Present)
At Owner, I helped scale the engineering team from 2 engineers and increased product release cadence through better tooling and release processes.
- Helped design product development processes based on the Shape Up methodology (specific contributions: planning poker, tech/product story reviews)
- Integrated visibility and monitoring for web and mobile apps to optimize order volume.
- Built a product blog and newsletters to tell customers about new features.
- Lead release of website for local restaurants product which helped raise Series A round.
- Built out release automation, CI, and developer tools to ship products faster. Implemented API compatibility checks, iOS build pipeline, and migrated to a monorepo.
Verkada - Software Engineer (June 2020 - April 2021)
At Verkada, I started as an intern and was hired on full-time as a software engineer. Over the span of a year, I shipped impactful features and contributed to team projects.
- Lead an effort to build a product blog and increase communication about new features from within the app.
- Joined a project to replace Oracle NetSuite with an internal tool and helped speed up the project to ship on time.
- Developed and shipped a new version of the app's home page, optimizing for time-to-first frame streaming performance.
- Lead a project to ship a new version of the archive page.
- Designed, built, and shipped a new search page for the app. Built and shipped a Three.js-based Pan-Tilt-Zoom system.
Phore Blockchain - Lead Engineer (September 2017 - September 2019)
At Phore, I worked as the lead developer for the project, adding features on top of the Bitcoin source code and soft forking a running blockchain to add segregated witness (smaller signatures inside blocks).
- Implemented Segregated Witness upgrade to the blockchain, spanning hundreds of nodes.
- Developed next-generation blockchain from scratch with a composable architecture (block validation, block proposals, and attesters).
- Built out first BLS12-381 implementation in pure Go; optimized implementation by implementing 384-bit modular arithmetic using Montgomery reduction. Worked with BLS12-381 IETF standardization committee to implement efficient hash-to-curve functions.
University of California, Santa Cruz (September 2018 - June 2021)
At UC Santa Cruz, I graduated in 3 years with a double major in Computer Science and Business Management Economics. Some of the most interesting classes I took were: machine learning, number theory, economics of law, accounting, and econometrics.